Friday 16 October 2009

..the next day!

So after feeling a bit fed up that the pineapple hadn't work, I decided to waddle up to bed! Not that I got much sleep!

I had the worst nights sleep ever! I just could not get comfortable what so ever, I was getting quite annoyed as I tossed and turned, I felt like I had no room to move, although I practically had the whole bed (ha sorry love!!) I was also getting braxton hicks contractions which were quite annoying, I'd been getting them for weeks so I didn't think anything of them, they were just pissing me off! ha!

It got to about 6.45am and I'd had enough and I decided to get up, it wasn't as if I was getting much sleep anyway! So up I get (which prob took me about 10 minutes to do in itself ha ha) and off I toddle to the loo. On my way to the loo my waters went!

Wow what a strange feeling that is!

OMG I was sooo excited and nervous at the same time!!! Wooohooo! My waters had gone! My baby boy is on his way :o)

I go back to our bedroom and poke the other half and let him know my waters had gone, and to tell him that I'm going to phone the hospital. I phone the hospital who asked me to come in so they can check that my waters had actually gone (well I hadn't frigging peed my pants!). I think it was about 8.45 when we got to the hospital. I had spent most of that 2 hours putting things in place ready for me bringing home our little baby, I was soooo expecting for them to keep me in, but no!....After they checked me and monitored me for a while they sent us back home. I was having contractions, but not strong ones, so they said it was best if I went home.

So off we go back home, feeling slightly disappointed that we were returning home with no baby, but hey he was on his way which was all that mattered!

I was OK, the contractions weren't hurting, they were actually making me laugh ha ha! It's such a shame they didn't stay like that!....

Hours & hours had passed, it was about 4pm, and I was starting to feel in real pain so I called the hospital back and asked if I could go in, I was finding the pain quite hard to deal with by this point, and was hoping to go into hospital and get an epidural. I needed to be 4cm dilated to get an epidural, and after contracting for about 7/8 hours I was sure I must have been there....
Well I wasn't!!! :( I was only flippin 1cm!!! Well that was it! I was gutted and started sobbing, 1cm after all that time and pain, they couldn't give me anything and sent me back home!!! I was not happy one bit! I was in sooo much pain!

We get back home and I try to have a bath which was suppose to ease the pain! Did it help? Did it buggery!!! If anything it made it worse!!! I think I managed a whole 5 mins in the bath, before trying to climb out (which is not easy when your the size of a whale and in agony!)
I decide to lye in bed and we put my fave film on (Mrs Doubtfire) hoping it would help a bit.

The other half was doing so well trying keep me focused on breathing correctly and rubbing my back, but the contractions were one after another, I was actually vomiting the pain was that bad!

Enough was enough I really couldn't cope any longer, I called the hospital again and told them I was coming in, not that they could probably understand me and I was crying hysterically! By the time we arrived back at the hospital it was 11pm (ish)

I remember being stood outside the maternity doors just sobbing waiting for them to let us in, I was a complete mess! So they do more checks only to find i was only 1.5 cms!!!

WTF!?!?! 1.5 god damn cms!!! HOW ON EARTH WAS I ONLY 1.5CMS??? I had been contracting for about 15hours! ALL THAT PAIN!!!

I was begging the midwife to give me some pain relief, so she said I could have some pethidine. She explained that it wouldn't get rid of the pain completely but it would take the edge off. I really didn't care by that point, I was willing to take anything if it helped me with the pain! So she gave me the injection, and within a few minutes I felt like I was having an out of body experience! It was so surreal! The pain was certainly easier to deal with, but I was totally out of it due to the pethidine.

When the midwife gave me the pethidine she also put monitor on me to monitors baby's heartbeat. Within minutes his heartbeat had dropped so low, she pressed a buzzer and some more people came in, she kept saying it was all OK but we knew something was up, we weren't stupid!!
They had to do some quick tests to check his oxygen but that was dropping too. The next thing I know I'm getting forms shoved in my face to sign for me to have a C-Section, I'm being wheeled through a corridor into a prep room, and the other half's was given some scrubs to wear.

To be honest it was all happening so quickly, plus I was totally out of it from the pethidine, I was really not taking it all in, it was like I was watching an episode of casualty!

I vaguely remember the anaesthetist giving me a spinal block, and I remember them trying to insert a drip into my hand but they kept messing up with my left hand so it ended up in my right one, that hurt a lot! The drip actually hurt a lot more than the spinal block. I then got moved onto the surgery table. The anaesthetist kept spraying my belly with ice cold spray to see if I was numb yet.

Once I was numb they started the section, it was such a weird feeling! I couldn't feel any pain, just pushing a pulling. It also felt like they were crushing my lungs, I felt like I could hardly breathe..moments later the boy was out, I knew he was out but they didn't show him to us! I kept saying to the other half 'he's out, he's out, why can't we see him?' the other half was trying not to worry me and kept saying that he wasn't out yet but I knew he was.

After what felt like a lifetime, we heard a little squawk! I couldn't see him but hearing that little noise from my baby boy was amazing!

Sunday 19th October 2008, 1.05am our little boy entered the world. He was perfect, and a very healthy 8lb 11oz.

I later found out that the reason I felt I couldn't breathe was because he was too long for my body and was quite far under my ribs, they had to scoop him from under them, he had to be revived at birth but thankfully the doctors did an amazing job and revived our little boy!

0 comments: